When I
finally got there, it looked like the old hotel had been shut down for a long
time. A bunch of dogs came out barking at me. I felt like I'd walked into a ghost town in an old western movie. I was so hot I didn't even think to take a photo of the place. When the dogs decided I was
not threatening, one by one they retreated back under the old truck
where they'd sprung out from. Though I heard voices in a nearby house, no one
came to investigate the dog's alarm. I found a little shade and
ate a snack. So much for my dream for a little ice!
I'd been so
concentrating on climbing the pass, I had not mentally prepared myself
for the dry heat on the other side. For a brief moment I felt a little
forlorn, my friends gone, the hotel abandoned, in a place forgotten; and
another 10 miles to ride in the cruel heat. But then I remembered I am
never alone. I have a Friend who is always with me, no matter what, who
says, keep on pedaling! With a big grin I remembered the little spray
bottle I found by the side of the road the first day out...time to put it to use as I stepped back into the sun to pedal the last very long ten miles.


No comments:
Post a Comment