Monday, July 30, 2012

Herding cows on a bike



This was a first time experience...the dairy cows who cross this road twice a day between the barn & their pasture must know the way quite well. They seem to have sensed I was late & decided to play a practical joke and walk down the road instead of crossing it. So the cows are coming at me with two cars behind them egging them on, no cow hand to be seen. Then the cows see me and stop, look worried and don't know what to do. I'm on one side, cars on the other. Trapped. Well, nervous cows do know what to do ... Drop a load or two right there in the road. Finally one of the cow hands appears. He calls out to me, directs me toward him and then to stop in the middle of the road. Then I see there's another gate he just opened. He starts the cows moving toward me they see me again and turn into the gate. So there i am, herding cows on my bike instead of going to a powwow. After all the cows are safely off the road I start pedaling again dodging the presents they left in the road. Just then a shiney black SUV speeds by and runs right through, spraying me in the process. Don't know if he was completely oblivious or laughing with the cows, but he quickly sped away. So I got fully indoctrinated as a beginner cow herder.

No comments:

Post a Comment