Sunday, July 22, 2012

At Fort Clatsop

The corps stayed at Fort Clatsop from Dec 7 until March 23 and only saw 12 days without rain.  Their primary food was elk, and they lacked salt to preserve it until they sent a detail down to present-day Seaside to boil it from sea water. I wonder what it was like, especially for the enlisted men split into three rooms, eight in a room.  Each had their own cooking fire.  Their goal had been reached. The thrill of the unknown was past.  There was a lot of work to do to reprovision themselves for the journey home. they kept busy, but I know when I am cold & wet or hungry & tired it's not easy to keep a good attitude.

We had a good time trying our hand with flint fire starting, talking to a ranger repairing moccasins and imagining the scene some 200 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment