Horses were introduced to the Nez Perce in about the 1730's, and profoundly impacted their lives. They were experts in breeding by the time Lewis & Clark entered the picture. I had passed a road sign that pointed to Palouse Falls. I guess I'm a little slow, but I never put together that the Appaloosa breed of horse originated here. I rode by a lot of beautiful horse ranches.
There were two stores shown on my map at the base of the grade, so I figured I'd refill my water at one of them. Both had been shut down. My cell phone found no signal to make a call. I knew I didn't have enough water for the hot climb ahead.
Enter an ambulance driver and a construction worker who just so happened to see each other on the road and decided to pull into the parking lot to say hello...I pulled out with my bottles refilled thanks to their kindness. God certainly watching out for me!
I climbed past alfalfa and wheat fields galore..
| I kept climbing until I was up in the conifers... |
| I had many fruit surprises waiting for me on the way up: I had refreshing snacks of blackberry, cherry, thimbleberry, huckleberry, apricot; the plums, apples & elderberry weren't ready yet. |
Three hours after I started up, the cell towers a welcome sight, I must be near the top!
Gorgeous ride along the high prairie
No comments:
Post a Comment