Monday, August 13, 2012

Clarkston Lewiston

I had a fun descent down into the river canyon with some beautiful views of Columbia River basalt.  Enjoyed a little geologizing with my sister, admiring the layering of old lava flows and columnar jointing. 

 Clarkston WA and Lewiston ID are twin towns that are at the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake Rivers, named for the explorers.  This is an important shipping port; I saw lots of timber piles across the river which seemed a little odd since there are no trees on the hills here, and had a strong scent of the paper mill in the air. 



At the confluence I finished the first section of the journey, about 710 miles including the detour down to Salem.  This total is a little bit of a guess because my odometer has reset to zero a  number of times when wasn't supposed to.  I haven't figured out the quirk. I celebrated with an iced coffee from a drive-up window (I startled the gal because she didn't hear my big diesel engine approaching). It's still really  hot so the days begin early for me and did that iced coffee ever taste good!  

No comments:

Post a Comment