I have said good bye to the Columbia, as did Lewis & Clark on their return trip. tribes informed them there was a good trail over land from Wallula gap to the area that is Clarkston/Lewiston today. The captains figured the shortcut would save them about 80 miles of travel, so left the river with horses and a dozen dogs for food. Small town tourism information boast "come see the forgotten trail of Lewis & Clark."
Today the landscape is covered with wheat fields near Walla Walla that turn to smaller farms and cattle ranches as it gets hotter & drier. The Corps found a lot of sand & the tribes people to have eye troubles they attributed to the sandy environment. They traveled through the last couple days of April & first few days of May. I'm here at the height of summer.
A lady I saw today said its the hottest day of the year so far (104). I got up early & left camp by 6:00 to try to beat the heat. I enjoyed the early morning light. It was quiet, the only sound the breeze rustling the grains of wheat. Idyllic. The sun climbed higher. My delight with the sparkling sunlight faded as the temperature climbed. The breeze turned into a steady headwind. My odometer slowed...9 mph...7...5 as the wind got stiffer and the hill climb steeper. By 10:30 the sun felt cruel. I pondered the swing of my emotions from delight to discouragement, even anger at the wind that impeded my progress.
The Bible teaches God is light. We read example of the wind His Spirit. Its easy to delight in God when life's circumstances are good, as i delighted in the sun & the breeze in the early morning. yet sometimes life turns cruel. A good friend lost her only son yesterday to a fall off a balcony. As I battled the cruelty of the elements today i tried to imagine her battle with shock & grief. A hawk flew overhead. Beautiful. Sweat ran down my face. I envision the tears on the face of my friend. A fox tried to cross the road but ran back and hid. Another hawk flew over. I ride on, wishing I could fly like that. life goes on. It must go on. After 10 minutes under a shady tree I was ready to face the sun again. I made my destination at 11:30 when the temp reached 94. God bring a shady tree, strength, perseverance hope , and ultimately restoration to my friend and to those suffering from loss & grief.




Thanks for all your posts! I just got caught up, amazing trip, Nance! xo Lisa Z
ReplyDelete