Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Drive-thru prayer

It was a chilly morning--a welcome change from all the heat. We passed through little patches of fog, then as the sun climbed we watched the mist rise off the river; back over to the South Dakota side.  After this many days on the road I get disoriented to time & place. I find myself looking at the map to remind myself which state I am in; the state of confusion for sure! 
Greg, Fred and I headed down an old county road toward Springfield. All was quiet except for the leaves fluttering in the breeze and the familiar symphony of crickets and birds. The sound of a small engine entered into our peaceful scene and its gradual crescendo took over the melody. A motorbike catches up to us, a man in his overalls straddles the seat. He cuts back on the throttle, settling back to our speed. Curious about what brought three cyclists to his country road, he greets us and opens up a conversation as we ride along.  We all move in closer to hear one another, no worries about blocking the nearly nonexistent traffic as we ride down the middle of the road together. His name is John, and he's a farmer; lived and worked here all his life. He's headed toward town to have a cup of coffee with the guys. After John learns where we're from and the purpose of our ride, he has a prayer request for the health of one of his family members. Cancer has visited a loved one. Then he hits the throttle, and heads off for his coffee. These days our society enjoys Drive-thru fast food, Drive-thru coffee, drive-thru banking, why not drive-thru prayer? I had a good laugh, but never did find the coffee place he was headed for...Anybody out there ready to open up a drive-through prayer house? there's plenty of needs all around us!

No comments:

Post a Comment